The selection of potential officers from the ranks of the Army was done in the first instance by the individuals own C.O. followed by a War Office Selection Board, W.O.S.B ( known as WOSBEE). This procedure involved everything from a mini-battle course to a psychiatric interview. On arrival the grading and testing done by 'A' Wing would determine the length of time the cadet would stay (the courses were designed to bring all officer cadets up to a similar standard prior to entering their specific O.C.T.U.)
Permanent staff and instructors who lived in the area were allowed to return home at evenings and weekends whilst the remainder were either accommodated on the site or billeted in Meopham or Wrotham. For the cadet it was the Nissen hut. Staff kept their own Regimental insignia but all wore the Brigade flash, the letters N.M. (black on green) which stood for North Midlands, although some, when asked by young ladies of the village as to what it stood for suggested 'Not Married'! , The cadet would remove all Regimental insignia and any badges of rank and wear a white band of cloth around the lower part of their hat and strips of white tape on the shoulder straps of their battle-dress blouse to denote their cadet status.
Training consisted of lectures and demonstrations in a variety of subjects, tactics, map reading, field craft, camouflage and the operation of a variety of weapons including grenades and mortars. Field craft areas close to the camp were in 'Happy Valley' and night exercises took place in and around Luddesdown, Pilgrims Way, Addington and Ryarsh with a rifle range in the chalk pit, an assault course at the bottom of the escarpment and 2" mortar and grenade ranges to the south of the Pilgrims Way.
All instruction regarding vehicles was done at the D Wing [Driving and Maintenance]. The Wing had a large transport column of vehicles from 15cwt. trucks to 10 ton recovery vehicles plus hundreds of motor-cycles. The main motor pool was situated on what is now Vigo Rugby Club and motor cycle training was undertaken on a figure of eight course in the area of what is now Highview.
For recreation the local pubs and village halls were often visited, the Vigo Pub provided good beer and darts and skittles with the locals. The Cricketers was also popular and a collection of cadets regimental badges once adorned the walls. Dances were also held at Meopham Village Hall on Wednesday evenings and many ex-cadets still wonder if the famous 'Meopham Blonde' or 'Capbadge Kate' are still around, both apparently the talk of officers messes the world over!
The camp continued to operate through to the early part of 1946 but with the end of the war in sight and the future size of the post-war army already under discussion the days of the Training Brigade were numbered and the decision to abolish the Brigade was taken on the 8th April 1946.